Thursday, May 28, 2020

Ramzan - My experiences

For several years, I have thought about fasting during Ramzan. Some times it would be 3 months after, other times it would be in the middle of it. Luckily, this year, I checked the calendar on Wednesday, April 22nd and learned that Ramzan starts on the next day. So I started fasting starting Thursday. Since I did not look into the details, I found out that it actually starts Thursday evening and actual fasting starts Friday morning! So it ended up starting my fast a day earlier.

Since it was Spring, each day starts a little earlier and the day ends a little later. By the end sunrise was around 5:30AM and sunset nearly as late as 8:30PM. Since I cannot get up that early, it ended up that I ate only one meal a day for 31 straight days.

It is not technically correct that I observed Ramzan, that would require that I do not eat medicine or swallow it with water. Besides that to be a person of faith one must pray 5 times a day. So without being guilty of cultural misappropriation, I think it is safe to say I fasted intermittently.

I looked at the clock with more eagerness waiting for the sun to set than as a school boy waiting for the last days of school to end and summer to begin! Jan said, that food tasted better when one has not partaken in a morsel for 24 hours. What we missed most in the first week was caffeine. But we switched our routine and started drinking coffee just before going to bed! Oh what would we not do for the fix!

Overall it was a great experience and one I intend to repeat next year.

2 comments:

Nafisa Goswami said...

Hi Raag, Priya shared with me your blog post. Really proud and happy that you had a good Ramzaan experience. Ultimately life is all about new experiences. When I did fast, I found the discipline and my mother's happiness most rewarding. I never did it for any religious purposes. So I also never did pray 5 times in the day. My sister-in-law also does the fast without praying, And hence you have lots of company with people like us in that manner. You get enormous amount of free time during the day if you're not constantly thinking about food, And preparation. The first 5 days sure are difficult after that I guess it becomes pretty easy, And you get used to it. But more than anything it is the community fun and festivities also. I'm glad Jannavi did it because it gives you company. I find it really boring to do it by myself and especially when I'm constantly around food for the kids. The discipline is at 2 levels, one is just Not eating food And water but the second discipline in preparing your dinner prior to Sunset is hard. Regardless I am glad you're enjoying it and I hope to join you sometime Again soon. That will make my mom really happy. Fasting in winter in United States is the easiest, as days are really short.
I have tried's to now do my work out without drinking water in between the workouts or the run. So far it has worked for me to work out at moderate pace for an hour or 2 without water

Raag said...

Thanks

Next time just give me a heads-up prior to Ramzan. I will join on the right day and on the day of Id we will see who makes the best Sheer Korma (it looks like vermicelli kheer + dry fruits).

Looking forward to next year with you.