Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Where Red Wings are concerned - The Cup is always Half Empty

As I told you earlier, I am a huge Red Wings fan. Unfortunately I do not enjoy watching them play. Unlike true fans of the game, I do not enjoy the triple overtime 1-0, 2-1 3-2 victories or worse 1 goal losses. My heart takes permanent residence in my mouth and I turn into a cannibal; I chew my fingers to the bone!!

With so many victories; and by golly the Wings have been phenomenally successful by almost every measure of success; you would think I have so many happy memories to choose from. Although I remember all the victories, I remember even more vividly the times Wings blew a one goal lead with less than 2-3 minutes left in the game and the subsequent heart wrenching overtime loss. I have been known to consider a 4 goal lead, as the third period winds down, to be less than ideal! The only games I consider fun or worth watching are blow out Wings victory.

In close games, I tense up and I get so caught up that I lose my temper and curse which of course makes my wife cringe and get mad at me for using inappropriate language in front of children.

Besides the stress of watching my team play, I am one of those steeped in sports superstitions (read this, this and this for a few examples). I have this irrational feeling that when I watch the Wings always manage lose the game. Not only that, I am also a believer in conspiracy theories; at least those that affect the Wings. It is of course a known fact to all Wings fan that the NHL and the umpires do not like the Wings and do not want them to win!! I have seen so many games when it looked like the Wings would eke out a victory, when the umpire would call a penalty and allow the opposition to tie the game and change the momentum of the game.

Having said all this, I am going to make an admission that would shock you. I think that the Pittsburgh Penguins are the better team in this year's Stanley Cup Finals. In both the games played so far they they out shot the Wings, had better scoring chances, and in general seemed to be doing all the little things that the Wings were known for. Usually I believe my teams does not get the breaks; but in the first two games of this years of Stanley Cup finals I feel that it is the Penguins that do not have Lady Luck on their side. I personally saw at least 3 times the puck hitting the posts. Yet it was the Wings that won both games.

But, I do not feel too bad!

So if the Wings win 2 more games and win the Cup, remind me to buy you a beer.

No comments: