Sunday, June 21, 2009

Top 10 - Rafi and Asha

This article was revised on 1-16-2011. See details of the changes at the end.

Ahmed, a friend of mine says on Facebook that this song makes him want to fall in love all over again. His comments reminded me of a resolution I had made - to come up with my Top 10 list of Rafi-Asha Duets. Naturally this is just my opinion and I am sure I have missed a few that could reasonably make the cut, but somehow coming up with a Top -12 or Top-17 did not sound appealing. I have tried to find both audio and video links for all the movies and songs and I have verified that all the links work. Hope you like them too.

01) Hum Dono - Abhi Na Jao Chod Kar (Video)
-- If I have to list only one song, this song would be IT, a song that would make you fall in love again. So married folks stay away from this song!

02) Kala Pani - Accha Ji Mein Haari Chalo (Video)
-- What a wonderful way to say sorry! Madhubala is sooooo ..... I am at a loss for words

03) Kashmir Ki Kali - Deevana Hua Baadal (Video)
-- Barson Se Khizan Ka Mausam tha
-- Veeraan Badi Duniyan thi meri
-- Haathon Mein tera aanchal, aaya Ke Bahaar Aayi

What a wonderful sentiment!

04) Bambai Ka Babu - Deevana Mastana (Video)
-- A very happy song, very good music. Otherwise no deep meaning.

05) Ek Musafir Ek Hasina - Aap Yunhi Agar Milte Rahe (Video)
-- Aap Yunhi Agar Hamse Milte Rahe, Dekhiye Ek Din Pyaar Ho Jayega

Well I am sure you would not be surprised when I tell you that Sadhana was my first crush!

06) Teesri Manzil - Aaja Aaja Mein Hu Pyaar Tera (Video)
-- Shammi is truly nuts. There is a scene in the middle of the song when Shammi to comes the end of his stanza and Asha Parekh who is in the background throws her jacket over the chair and twirls her way into the foreground with Shammi moving into the background. This is an unusually long shot for a song and really well done.

07) Kashmir Ki Kali - Ishaaron Ishharon mein (Video)
-- Bahaaron Ko Bhi Naaz Jis Phool Par Tha, Wohi Phool Hamne Chuna Gulistan Se.

08) Nau Do Gyarah - Aaja Panchhi Akela Hai (Video)
-- The chemistry between Dev Anand and Kalpana Kartik, spouses in real life not just reel life, is palpable. I am not an expert in Hindi, but I wonder if this movie spawned the phrase "Nau Do Gyarah Hona" which means to run away!

09) Ek Musafir Ek Hasina - Bahut Shukriya Badi Meharbani (Video)
Joy Mukherji is lucky to have so many amazing songs. As an actor, well the less said the better.

10) Hum Kissi Se Kum Nahin - Hai Agar Dushman Zamana (Video)
About 5 years ago, they had a three violin Carnatic concert at the Shiva Vishnu Temple in Maryland. In the middle of a long Ragam Tanam Pallavi, one of the violinist, smiled at the other and played this song. No jokes. I asked her at the end why she did this and; she explained that this song is based on the raaga Valaji. She is from Bombay and grew up listening to Hindi film songs and tried something different. Also I had to do justice by putting Zeenie baby back in after removing "Chura Liya Hai" from my original list.

What do you think?

Changes made 1-16-2011

I am deleting "Chura liya hai" and "Aaye Hai Door Se" from this list

09) Yaadon Ki Baarat - Chura Liya Hai Tumne Jo Dil Ko (Video)
-- Zeenie Baby, Wow! It took 25 more years before the rest of the Indian Film heroines had a figure like that! I am sorry I had to delegate this song so far down the list. I definitely am partial to the classical period of Hindi Film Music if I may refer to 1950s and 1960s in that manner.

10) Tumsa Nahin Dekha - Aaye Hai Door Se (Video)
-- I just like this song, nothing particularly quotable about this song

9 comments:

umarag said...

Loved it...went thru every one of em..thanks for making a Kishore fan listen ;)

#1 is my alltime favorite Rafi and the black+white non-verbal subtle picturization of Dev waiting for her to arrive, is one of the best shots edited in a Hindi cinema (altho Hum Duno is a lousy movie!)

And another one not on your list that I favorite (Rafi+Lata) is - baagon mein baahar hai

Raag said...

Uma, I will see if I can include Baghon Mein bahar Hai when I make Rafi - Lata top 10.

Although it is a good song, but think of this, in the movie Aaradhana there are three other songs by Kishore Mere Sapnon Ki Rani, Roop Tera Mastana, Kora Kagaz that were better or at least more popular. How could I list the 4th if not 5th best song in a movie in any top 10! (since there is also another Rafi Asha duet "Gunguna Rahen Hai Bavre" that is also good)

I do not agree that Hum Dono was lousy, unless you categorize most popular cinema's as crap (which is OK, since I generally concur that most Indian films are unwatchable)

Rajalakshmi Tirumalae said...

I think 3 and 6 should exchange places...

Raag said...

Raji - I concur. It has been a long time. How are you?

Unknown said...

Amazing :) 7 wud move up in my list , and I'd rank 3 over 2 ..
Some that shud have made it to the top 10 are Gunguna rahe hain bhawre , maang ke saath tumhara... Make a Rafi-Lata list next ... :)

Raag said...

Please see my follow up comments on why I did not choose Aradhana songs.

Maang Ke Saath Tumhara is a song with a horse step beat!!

Not bad, but ...

Unknown said...

I like maang ke saath tumhara for the lyrics .. I don't like Dilip Kumar n I agree with what u say abt horse beats ...

Unknown said...

All the 10 songs are really the best ones. but u have missed the best of best, 'Yin baharon mein akele na phiro, raah mein kali ghata rok na le'. why?

Raag said...

Good song. I like that song, I guess it is a matter of preference and to some extent the state of mind I was in when I made the list.