Friday, June 26, 2009

India Is Racist, And Happy About It

I am ashamed but there is quite a bit of truth in this statement. Outlook published this article recently. A while back I told someone (and it is not an original observation) that the caste system in India is a form of color based discrimination and they did not accept it. In Sanskrit it is referred to as The Varna system. Varna means color.

My former CEO is an Indian American and his VP is a white American. He would tell us that when the two went to India on business trips, everyone would automatically assume that the VP was the boss!

I am not sure if India will ever stop discriminating on the basis of color. It is so deeply rooted that I am not sure of a lot of the people think of it as discrimination!

1 comment:

Jannavi said...

This is true. An added fact to this is the inculcated habit of being subservient to the Raj from the 1800s. It is very hard for Indians both in India and outside to take that out of their upbringing, at least immediately. But I have hope that we will see a different India in years to come. But you have to admit that the society is all-inclusive in spite of their open curiosity.