Thursday, July 02, 2009

Twenty Years Later

I have been in this country twenty years! Two decades! Where did all that time go?

I still remember the blue skies when I landed in San Fransisco on July 4, 1989. Yes I came to the good old USA on the Independence Day. I could not believe that the sky could be so blue. In India I do not remember looking up in the middle of the day for fear that the glare would blind me.

On the first evening, the manager of the motel where I stayed initially in Santa Clara, suggested that we all climb on top of the roof of the motel to view the fireworks. Spectacular!

My first year in this country was filled with so many novel experiences. I remember the awe with which I used the ATM the first time, something that now is passe even back in India.

My boss was amused that I found it strange that someone would accept a plastic card from me in return for expensive goods and services merely on my assurance that I would pay him back in 30 days. I did not realize then that the banks had a noose round my neck! The noose has gotten lot tighter since then. Back then, formal credit was mostly unknown especially in middle class. My parents and everyone I knew paid cash for everything. Now, credit in all forms in ridiculously common place in India.

I remember with wonder that the darkness set at the insanely late hour of 9:30-10:00PM! I had not heard of Day Light Savings.

With no email and only one choice of long distance, I cannot forget what a pinch it was on the purse to make a 10 minute call to India. A minute of long distance was about $3.00! Adjusted for inflation that is about $6.00 in today's dollars. So I would make one quick call to our neighbors to tell my parents to come on line and then after a suitable interval call them again! How crude. Since then India went completely wireless by (almost) skipping the land line phase! I now pay about 5 cents a minute and can call my parents any time, any where, however long I want!

Within a month of coming to the US, I got my driver's license, and soon I became a proud owner of a beat up Honda Civic of indeterminate color; let us say Gray; with over 85,000 miles on it. I roamed all over Bay Area using my new, used car and a bicycle.

I survived the 6.9 earthquake! After that all the minor tremors were like storm in a teacup. In fact I found out that I had slept through several 5+ earthquakes.

I discovered The Supreme Court and pretty soon added much needed bulk to my lanky frame.

I watched the great Joe Montana win a Super Bowl without understanding rudiments of American Football.

It probably rained in the Bay Area, but I do not remember those days for there could not have been many of them. All I remember were long days with blue skies and wonderful balmy weather.

I probably had the most carefree 12 months of my life, which is why California always manages to evoke extreme nostalgia.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, ravi, it is 20 years seems like yesterday. i remembered u yday and how u got ready to leave for the US as if it was a trip down to madras. I missed ur company. affly radha

Raag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raag said...

I agree. I remember going to the US embassy to get my visa and leaving 2 days later. It was not always fun being alone especially with the way communication was in those days. I remember the eagerness with which I used to look out for letters, something I have not done in more than a decade write a letter.