Friday, December 07, 2007

Puddle hopping in Velachery, Chennai

Today is December 3rd and it has rained in Chennai early in the morning. By most standard it would be an average sized downpour, something that when it happens in the US we do not take notice. But in Velachery, Chennai the streets are waterlogged. Not that anyone is making any fuss about, it is not a catastrophe. People just walk around the puddles. When they are unable to navigate around the puddles, the shrug the shoulders, remove their sandals, and wade in!! They are used to the corporation doing nothing and have no future expectations either.

Anyway, I set out to get something from the store near Vijay Nagar Bus stand and was navigating my way around the various puddles and really enjoying it. If you have not done it before try it; it is a lot of fun. Then I was in front of a mega puddle which means that the entire street, end to end, was covered in water. Unfortunately I was wearing shoes and wading in water was not an option. It looked like I was stumped and was on the point of walking back when I saw an ingenious solution. I saw this guy walking along the wall of a house holding on the metal grill set on top of boundary wall literally hanging on to it!!

I too tried it. It worked. As I was hanging from the grill, a car went through the puddle and my heart was in my mouth as the waves (yes they were small waves) washed over my shoes. Luckily I navigated without any disaster.

The next one was interesting. So far all the puddles were in the middle and the high ground was on the side of the road. This puddle was all on the side I was walking on and to get around it I had to go to the middle of the road and just then this huge van horn blaring came behind me. I was surprised by the agility I displayed. No one else seemed surprised; the speed with which I got around this puddle is normal for people here but it was a bit scary.

On the whole I loved it all. Puddle hopping, puddle skirting, hanging to the grill and evading a puddle.

How easily we lapse into our old self. For example I now nod my head side to side as Indians generally do. You know what I am talking about. The ambivalent, neither a NO, nor a YES, shake of the head!! It took me decade and half to cure myself of the side to side waggle of my head. A mere year and of half of association with India and Indians was enough to undo it!!

No comments: