Wednesday, March 28, 2007

News flash - India beats Raag

I sent this as an email to some of my friends on March 23rd 2006 when I went to India on a business trip.

*** News Flash ***
Raag the ever timid takes strike. On Sunday, his first day he eats at the Chancery hotel and everything is good. The next days he feels emboldened and eats at the office cafetaria and everything is good (or is it?). Thinking he is very much the punter now he attempts to repeat the stroke and eats again on Tuesday at the cafetaria and disaster strikes. He is clean bowled and by the end of the of day, the bathroom is very well acquainted with Raag. Furthermore he has been reduced to fetal position all of wednesday and has retired from the test match!! Henceforth he has decided to eat idlis and dhahi for breakfast, pack idlis with dhahi every day for lunch and eat curd rice with pickle everynight for dinner, all only at Chancery hotel .
*** End News Flash ***

This is good for two reasons.
1) I will be able to survive India.
2) I can prove to certain people, notably my beloved wife Jannavi, my friend Jeshmi, and Jeshmi's mother that I am very easy to feed and I am not at all picky.

On the side, here are some phrases that are funny.

1) I saw a road sign "Hump here", there may even have been the ubiquitous prefix "Please" !! To the pure of heart and mind, go to dictionary.com and check out "Vulgar Slang".
2) My driver has a simple explanation for traffic in Bangalore "Bangalore roads very traffic".

If I like Bangalore for it weather, then I hate its traffic and its roads. The conditions of the roads are such that I think Bangalore is a dream market for shock absorber companies.

Speed bumps here are another story, I am not sure how it is elsewhere, but here I think they took the standard speed bump and then redesigned it in such a way that you cannot get over one at any speed without a spinal injury!!

Less said about traffic and traffic manners the better it is. In a traffic jam, everyone honks, although it is not clear to me yet why they do so. It practically achieves nothing at all. The other guys looks ahead and plows on ignoring it anyway and if he is unable to, he honks back.

Note - Bangalore-philes, please note that most of the comments above may apply to almost all of India. So please do not flame me.

No comments: